10.29.2012

Homespun Halloween: Costumes of the Past

MerMagCostumeRoundUpPumpkin
As soon as little O turned one I decided it was time to follow in my mother's footsteps and start sewing our very own handmade Halloween costumes. So for the past three years, we have been trying to do just that. There is something special about a homespun costume - and for those of you who don't sew, it can easily be created from boxes, paper, and more found objects. I just think there is something special about creating and wearing something original and hand crafted.

For us we like to have our costumes later become great staples for our imaginative play costume box. So more often than not I like to sew them, so that they last and can be easily stored. Last year the boys asked to go as a pumpkin and Perry the Platypus. And let me tell you what. That platypus has been worn quite a number of friends and family members alike. It's probably been the number one requested dress up item in our home. And the pumpkin? Well, I love that one so much that I'm keeping it nice for baby M to wear again one year.

MerMagCostumeRoundUpPlatypus

In 2010, the boys went as knights. We had a lot of tun with these and even themed Little O's 2nd birthday party around them. By basing these off of a vintage art smock, they were not only simple but easy for the little guys to wear...over...and over again.

MerMagCostumeRoundUpKnights

That year I also decided to share a simple DIY ghost cloak that you can make from a sheet. And trust me, if you don't have a costume idea made up and ready yet, you can totally make this one the day before (or even the day of!) Halloween.

MerMagCostumeRoundUpGhostCloak

2009 was the year I began all of this sewing madness. I actually wanted to start sewing as soon as A was born but I think it took having number two for me to really be inspired. I kind of get into themes. And really you only have so many years before you can get your kids to theme your costumes. Or at least that's how it's played out in my house.

MerMagCostumeRoundUpSailormanBeard

So in 2009 the boys went out as a sailor man and an octopus. I started the costume with a fringed white beard...that lasted for about three seconds (A wasn't into how it felt on his face).

So as much as I loved the beard (it still comes out for Santa Claus impressions) we nixed it for a simple, younger, sailorman costume.

MerMagCostumeRoundUpSailorman

And what's a better side kick for a sailorman than a squigly red octupus? I can't deny that I was seriously in love with how my little baby O looked in this costume and was proud to have created it completely on my own (no pattern). And I seriously can't wait until baby M can fit this, because I'm very sure that I've not had enough of it yet.

MerMagCostumeRoundUpOctopus

And this year? Well stayed tuned to find out! I mean I now have three costumes to create! So you'll just have to keep a drift to see if everything turns out as planned.

What are some of your favorite costumes from years gone by? And why? Any of them handmade? I'm still in awe of my friend Sarah's darling gumball costume, found on Inchmark, made for her daughter. Seriously so innovative. You can see more of what is inspiring me costume wise via my Hallow's Eve Pinterest board. And can you believe that the haunted holiday is upon us!? EEK!!

2 comments:

  1. awwwh :) my favorite has to be the octopus & the sailor man (with beard!!)

    alissa b
    http://alissab.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT WONDERFUL COSTUMES FROM THE PAST. I TOO LOVE THE OCTOPUS. YES SAVE IT FOR BABY M! AND THE SAILOR BEARD IS SO COOL. TOO BAD YOUR LITTLE ONE DIDN'T LIKE THE WAY IT FELT ON HIS FACE. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING MORE OF YOUR CREATIONS.

    I LOVE DRESSING UP AS A ZOMBIE. ONE YEAR, MY BOYFRIEND AND I DRESSED UP AS JACK AND JILL WITH HOMEMADE YARN WIGS AND BUCKETS. THIS YEAR, I DRESSED UP AS A CIRCUS RING MASTER WITH A PAINTED ON MUSTACHE.

    ReplyDelete