11.03.2009

[jumping ship for a...]

halloween-1
This year we did things a little different for Halloween. Little Captain A and baby O-ctopus and the rest of the crew sailed away from the warm shores and green palms of California for the drizzily chills and bright fall leaves of Tennessee, and we had the time of our lives.
halloween-2
Jon had a graduate acting reunion/presentation of sorts that was being held on Halloween day. We were thrilled as this gave us a chance to see dear friends, frolic through fallen leaves, and trick-or-treat on a chilly autumn night. Perfect.
halloween-3
After some serious late nights I managed to get the costumes finished before the trip (only some last minute fish stuffing for Captain A's trick-or-treat bag). Phew. It was difficult pulling together baby O's costume but I'm pleased with how it turned (I used a pattern for the hood but made up the rest). He was so stinkin' cute. He calmed down about the tentacles and hood once he realized he had a built in chew toy. Awesome.
halloween-5
I couldn't get Cap'n A to sport the beard but Jon ended up wearing it so it worked out great. Little A had a mustache as an alternative that he wore for tricks or treats but not for the photo shoot. It was to die for.
Untitled-6
halloween-7
I knew with little A I had to make a costume that was more or less like wearing every day clothes. He has never been into wearing elaborate costumes with too many things going on, and if it had a zipper or Velcro, you can forget about it. That thing would be off in seconds. He eventually warmed up to his ensemble and was very proud to be a "Sailor Man!".
halloween-4
This year was especially magic for all of us as Little A really got it. When we were getting ready to leave for trick-0r-treating he kept running for the door in a panic holding his hat and mustache crying for me to put it on so that he could go. And once we were out (in the rain) going from house to house he went crazy trying to keep up with his older friends. He didn't understand that he couldn't eat a piece of candy after each house and still be able to keep speed. It was priceless chaos. Ahh...I love Halloween. And now, I love that it's over. I'm ready for Christmas baby. I'm ready Christmas.

27 comments:

  1. Both of those costumes are absolutely fantastic! What a lovely set of photos you have for your memory bank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was awesome to see you guys again!!! :o) and those costumes were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, the cutest baby costume I've ever seen! Great idea. LOVE the fishy treat bag, too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you were from Tennessee! I live in Nashville currently but I'm originally from Pennsylvania.

    I love when siblings have a theme to their costumes (to the thanks of their parents) and you didn't a lovely job with these! I lovvvve the baby octopus costume :) I'm filing this one away for ideas....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So stinkin' cute! I adore those costumes and the bag! Love it! I'm with you, ready for Christmas! Thanks for the pics. I must admit I was counting on you to have good ones! You never disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You costumes are KILLING me they're so cute! You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. these could possibly be the cutest costumes I have ever seen. just darling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been following your blog since that fabulous backyard party you had before you moved and I'm hooked. Your boys are darling and remind me of my nephews and all your brilliant and fun projects inspire me to be a cool crafty mom when I have kids. And those Halloween costumes?? Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. just stumbled onto your blog and find it to be incredibly inspiring! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So adorable Merrilee. I am so sad I didn't get to see you more. It was nice to have you here, for a little while anyway. We miss you.

    I'm ready for Christmas, too. Barbie clothes and a table fort for me. Ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those costumes are to die for my dear. What a cute idea. I'm so glad you had a magical Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those costumes are fantastic! I have to admit that I also love Halloween but I also love that it's over. For some reason our October felt really manic even though it was all great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such adorable costumes, I especially like the octopus, a true labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh! That octopus is the best costume everrrr! What a lovely blog - I can't believe it took me this long to find it:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love Love LOVE you sailor costume! I need it for my boy someday! What pattern did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dlyn, and all who are interested, for Captain A's costume I combined the following patterns: Simplicity 5982 (lengthened the pants); McCalls 5539 for the hat; Simplicity 3584 pj top for the striped shirt underneath.

    thank you all for you kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi. i am a random reader of your blog. well, i was looking at the April of 2008 archives of "The Satorialist", and I think I found a girl in Paris wearing the shoes you designed. Did you know?







    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qjpwnPW4c1o/R_IfmGQgb-I/AAAAAAAADMU/P-f8gC_sWPU/s1600-h/RiveGbluweb.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  18. perfect costumes! you are brilliant and so very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello! I've been following your blog for awhile and have been inspired by it! I simply love baby O's costume! Its a fantastic piece of work, and he looks soooo cute in it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the octopus costume is the cutes i've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The costumes are really cool and oh my, the fall colours are simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete