1.01.2013

Happy New Year!!

MerMagHappy2013!
Happy Happy New Year Friends! I don't know about you but I'm ready to clean the slate and start this new year off on the right foot! Don't get me wrong, 2012 was great, full of wonderful opportunities and new additions (such as our very favorite, this little bug shown here) but I just love me some time to reevaluate, make some changes and get pumped to start up again. Don't you? And to do so we always choose a theme as a family for the year. I like to do this so that if some of my specific goals fall through the cracks, say oh about a couple weeks after I make them, then I always have a simple theme to fall back on...one that is easy to remember the entire year through...and one that will hopefully guide us through until the end of December.

I'm also big on alliteration. I find this helps me remember my theme even when it's July and starting fresh and goal making is not so much at the forefront of my mind.


Some past favorite themes have been:

  • Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Relax (remember this one?! still a fond favorite)
  • Creation and Compassion (tried to focus on creating more and consuming less and then reaching beyond myself and showing compassion to those around me)
  • Friends, Family & Fun! (this one might seem like a no brainer but for a workaholic, creative hermit like myself I needed the reminder that the most important things in life are bonds you form with those around me. I needed the push to put my relationships in life first. And to have FUN doing it! Turned out really great.).
  • Last year was all about Thriving...thinking this year might be a bit along those lines as well. Can't wait to nail it down!

What about you? Any resolutions? And what do you do to try to keep up on them after the will power to make it out the door to the gym subsides?

6 comments:

  1. I usually go for a motto, last year it was let's laugh more ( I really needed to loosen up, and it really helped) this year I'm going to try choosing a guiding word. I've gone with Focus, I feel quite scattered lately and I hope this reminder helps. I love your past ideas, can't wait to see what you come up with this year. Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of baby M. Hope she is doing well. She looks beautiful. My little nephew, born a few weeks ago, was having problems at first, but he's pulled through it now.

    I like your idea of having a family theme for the year. What a wonderful idea.

    I also like the above comment from "small+friendly" about having a motto of a guiding word. I definitely could use some FOÇUS this year too and both ideas are great.

    Thanks, Ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby M is just darling!

    I love the idea of a theme for the year. Do you sit and come up with it as a family?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the third themed resolution I've read about and I think it's a great idea! So much more attainable than open ended goals like "go to the gym" and "eat healthy." I myself decided not to resolve anything this year, as I'm pretty content with thing as they are (and I don't want to set myself up for failure, haha.)

    Also, can I just say, I love your blog! I stumbled upon it this morning and have been reading way back to 2009! I'm a first time mother-to-be and have loved gaining future family inspiration. Plus, I've been a fan of your work on Etsy for years now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This year my biggest goal is "less planning, more doing." I am a total list lover, but I have this awful habit of drafting up list after list and never actually tackling much of it. I'm hoping I can convert that goal to "less dreading, more doing" for my final year of school and all the papers that go with it too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy 2013! what a darling in that glittery new years hat!

    love the alliteration idea. this is exactly what i need. enjoyed looking through your focuses on years past. i think i'm almost ready to commit to my resolutions!

    i also have to tell you that can hardly wait for your class at alt (i am going for the first time!!) i jumped up and down when i saw your name, and the topic too!, so excited.

    ReplyDelete