12.01.2009

[random...]

advent1
I've had a magazine clipping of an advent calendar in my Christmas "genious files" that I have adored for some time. This year I decided that it was time to make one of my own. I also wanted to do something a little different to count down the days. Instead of just goodies (which will definitely be in there on some days) I wanted to add a few small token gifts.
advent2
Some of these would be physical gifts, but most would be gifts of self. This year I really wanted us to try to bring the Christmas spirit into our home by giving of ourselves and our time. Each day a member of our family will get something. Most will be simple things, such a kiss under the mistle toe or cuddle on the couch with hot chocolate and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Others will be more involved such as foot rubs and a trip to the Marina del Ray Holiday Boat Parade.
advent4
I made little cards that fit into each pocket, waiting to deliver an act designed to bring a smile to the face and a bit of holiday cheer.
advent5
If you too are interested in doing something similar I've made these cards available for you to download. Just click here and get started. (You can of course also use these for gift tags, address labels, etc).
advent3
I'll let you know how this little idea turns out. Hopefully our month will be bursting with love, magic, excitement and adventure.

13 comments:

  1. oooohhh I just love the little reindeer and monkey...just adorable. Great idea for xmas, thanks for sharing x Anna
    http://lonadeanna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the downloads! I just made our advent list and my children are super excited. We really try to mix it up between service for others, family time and a few treats! I've found that it really is great for the children and us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very sweet idea. I remember my mum doing something similar for me one year but she found it too expensive to do again (she only put in little gifts). I'd love to try something like this with my daughter. Maybe next year, she's got a chocolate calendar this Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea!

    My boyfriend and I were thinking about having an advent calendar, but we were thinking more of small things, and we came to the conclusion that it would be too expensive and a waste.

    I'm saving this idea for next year though! :)

    Mausumi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an inspiring post -thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that the days are all out of order. very cool!
    the gift tags are great too. thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Thanks for sharing!!! I have one with candy but yours is special...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm - well I do know to sew - it's just the time bit.

    these are all so dreamy! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great Advent calendar! Hope you're having a lovely winter!

    xo Katherine aka. Urban Flea :)
    http://www.urbanfleadesign.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. How gorgeous! What a wonderful idea and thank you so much for sharing this ( and the cute tags) with us! I adore it....
    xo
    Melis

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, what a pretty little reindeer!

    ReplyDelete