9.29.2009

[Jon's super stellar...]

pumpkinflakes1
The other afternoon while unpacking I came across our Halloween decorations and couldn't resist getting into the spooky spirit right away. So I called little A and Jon over to start the festive adorning. While setting up trick-or-treaters and pumpkin treat bowls with little A I see Jon across the room with some paper and scissors, cutting out what looks to be a snowflake. No sooner does he see my quizzical look when, voila, he unfolds this super stellar pumpkin. Yeah, I was wowed. And hooked. So he showed me his methods and I went to town.

The best part, it's easy. And brilliant. And fun. (And something kids can join in on!)
pumpkinflakes2
Step 1: Grab any old sheet of paper, rectangle, square...mix it up
Step 2: Fold it in half
Step 3: and then fold it in half again
Step 4: Now make sure the fold is on your left hand side
Step 5: Cut scallops on right hand side ending with the stem at the top
Step 6: Open up the fold once and then cut off the bottom stem
Step 7: Cut out a mouth
Step 8: Then a nose
Step 9: Use an x-acto to cut out the eyes
Step 10: Now unfold and enjoy your new creation!

Once you start, the possibilities are endless. And you might go a little crazy...
pumpkinflakes3
cutting out new creations for the rest of the night...
pumpkinflakes4
pumpkinflakes5
Happy cutting!

35 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I love the witch and the pumpkin with freckles. I'm going to have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! they're very charming. and something i can do today with my kiddos. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I often make paper bats for Halloween and hang them from the ceiling. This year I will be making pumpkins, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are so cute! i featured your darling blog on mine today: www.sayyestohoboken.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally loving these...... wonderful!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just did one! i love your witch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :D love this! these are totally going up on my front window

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter and I made these today. How fun! What a great idea. I'll be posting pics of ours and linking to your post on my blog tomorrow.
    http://make-happy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mer, these are sooo fun to make and super cute! Love love love! Thanks for sharing and have a lovely merry happy day! Love to yoU!

    jacqueline
    http://jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids will really enjoy making these...thanks for the tutorial :)

    girlleegoodz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. you sure have a way with those scissors! amazing. cute. i am off to attempt right now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice snowflake pumpkin designs.
    Stingy Jack has given your designs a rating of 4 pumpkins out of 5!
    http://www.paperpumpkins.com/more.htm

    Plus a link to your page:
    http://www.paperpumpkins.com/snowflakes.htm

    ReplyDelete
  13. A couple of years ago my daughter had a little business going, she sold snowflakes that she had made. She sold more than I thought she would. When I saw this post I knew I had to show her and she has tried making some of them. Now we just got to get some cute paper. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE these! Thanks for the great idea! I stumbled over here from CRAFT....

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are going to do this today, these are adorable

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute I will be making these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are so cool! They'd make the cutest garlands. Thanks so much for the great idea, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My girls are going to love this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is exactly whi I love your blog: aesthetically pleasing and inspiring while practical. I love visiting this site!

    ReplyDelete
  20. cute! thanks for the instructions, i know what we will be doing this afternoon...

    ReplyDelete
  21. such a sweet post... it really makes you want to be a kid again, or at least revisit those whimsy-filled activities.

    xo katherine aka. urban flea :)
    http://www.urbanfleadesign.net

    ReplyDelete
  22. awesome! me lefty, so i keep fold on right! luvin' the freckles!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Merrilee,I linked to you multiple times in my free Halloween link party
    http://lorajeansmagazine.blogspot.com/2010/10/free-halloween-challenge-more-free.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your paper cutting ideas! CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your easy paper crafts...cute!

    ReplyDelete