9.05.2012

DIY Hand Stamped Swaddle Blankets

MerMagHandStampedSwaddleBlankets0
I can't believe I only have a month (or less) left before our bitty baby girl arrives! I've been trying to do my best to prepare for her arrival amidst all the many things going on here - back-to-school, illustration work, blogging and more! Little by little things are starting to look like a baby just might be coming to stay in our home soon.

Last week I decided to create a few hand stamped swaddle blankets made out of a gauzy muslin fabric. I like how simple they were to do and how graphic they turned out.
MerMagHandStampedSwaddleBlankets1
To make these I cut up large squares of muslin fabric. (I referenced Dana's tutorial for this). I then used black fabric paint and a handmade stamp to create the pattern.
MerMagHandStampedSwaddleBlankets2
The trick for me was to apply the paint to the stamp with a paint brush before stamping onto the muslin. I got much better stamping coverage this way as opposed to when I just dipped the stamp right into the paint. The coverage of was still varied a bit but I actually like this as it gives it that "hand stamped" feel.
MerMagHandStampedSwaddleBlankets3
After hand stamping the blanket to my liking, I hemmed the edges of the muslin.
MerMagHandStampedSwaddleBlankets4
I then created another one from a pretty salmon pink fabric found on my LA Fabric District shopping spree (I think it's the same fabric as Dana used in her tutorial! what are the chances?). I then used a rain drop stamp for this one...which admittedly looks a bit like watermelon seeds with this color of fabric.
MerMagHandStampedSwaddleBlankets5
Rain drops? Watermelon seeds? You decide. Either way, I'm so excited to swaddle and cuddle up my little girl in these when she arrives!
MerMagHandStampedSwaddleBlankets6
Now to find a crib...and perhaps a rocking chair...and...

14 comments:

  1. SO adorable! great job!!

    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this. I never get tired of DIY fabric stamping. This definitely got pinned =) Thanks for sharing.

    - Sarah
    agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny...because I was actually going to make some JUST like this last night but ran out of time. I am due to have baby #3 at the end of this month and am trying to squeeze in baby projects just like you. Since we don't know the gender this go round I have been focusing on making a new room for the "big kids" to share. I am hoping to make a couple of these blankets tonight. You did a great job and thanks for sharing! I love all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the watermelon seed blankie. I have some solid muslin wraps that you've inspired me to spice up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Definitely pinning it! It's such a wonderful idea!

    XX
    S

    http://livingthedream-ca.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, Mer Mag, I was reading "The Friend" to my kids at breakfast this morning. I saw a cute illustration and thought, "that looks just like something Merilee would do." Lo and Behold it was Tuesday Mourning. Congrats to you on your many accomplishments; you have deserved each one! It's fun to see your illustrations and talents everywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun Katie! I actually haven't even seen it yet. Miss you guys. Hope you are wel. xo
      Mer

      Delete
  7. everything you do is so so fun and beautiful. love love! and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I immediately thought of watermelons when I saw the coral one... lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so fun seeing how you're preparing for your baby girl's arrival. I love the "watermelon" blanket. Wonderful job, Merrilee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful!! I have been trying to spice up some plain white onesies for my new little. I think this is the ticket. Rain drops all the way! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the rain drops! So cute on that coral pink. You're right....watermelon! Thanks for the links :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make hand stamped jewelry, and clicked on your link, thinking it was going to be "jewelry". But I just had to comment - this is such a cute idea! I love it!

    Barbara
    http://gracieandme.com/

    ReplyDelete