10.25.2011

[a mix and match 'em monster...]

puppetparty1
This year for Little O's third birthday, being a little obsessed with puppets as of late, we decided to take the the puppet show on the road and visit my sister and her Littles. Being as this was supposed to be Little O's year with the family I felt this fit and we wanted to keep things low key. So the morning of the party I gathered all the black card stock I could find, grabbed an x-acto knife and started cutting out monster parts.

puppetparty2
I created a number of heads, bodies, arm and leg sets, some crazy wings and a few tails. I then used a 1/8" hole punch to create eyes and holes for the brads where the creatures appendages would be connected. I only put one hole in the bodies for the heads as I wanted to children to be creative about how they were going to attach the legs, wings and tails themselves. I put an assortment of brads in the middle of the table and then let the children go crazy, mixing and matching, creating spooky creatures and silly monsters.

puppetparty3
The younger kids needed a bit of help with the hole punching and attaching the brads but they loved the freedom and creativity of it all. I was delighted to see what sort of creatures they came up with and the adults couldn't help but join in on the fun. The ideas were endless and the creatures created were nothing short of amazing!

puppetparty4
We taped paper straws to the back of our puppets and let the puppet show begin!
puppetparty5
After hanging a white table cloth, my sister held up a studio light from her husband Trent's art studio. The Littles held their newly assembled creations up to the cloth and we had a grand time creating silly, spooky and spontaneous stories.
puppetparty6
The Littles had just as much fun watching as they did puppeteering (and I dare say, so did the adults!).
puppetparty7
Little O was due on Halloween but came 10 days earlier and I must say, he is definitely a Halloween kid. He is obsessed with anything and everything Halloweeny, spooky and somewhat scary. These puppets were right up his ally but if your Littles might be a little too spooked by these creatures, I suggest using scissors to create more rounded shapes (x-acto's aren't the best tools for curvy corners) and do away with the jagged teeth.

puppetparty8
After a wonderful time of puppet play, we headed to the back yard for a low key party spread of doughnut holes, apple cider, festive store bought cupcakes for the Littles and of course...presents.
puppetparty9
Little O loved the festivities and the attention. It was fun to see how he "got it" this year and he relished the fun of it all.
puppetparty10
It was great fun for all and it really got us all geared up for a delightfully spooky Halloween!

Happy Birthday my little baby. May your third year of life be full of delight, wonder and happiness.

7 comments:

  1. How clever! Love this idea.

    Looks like he had a happy happy birthday for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so creative and wonderful. Gosh don't get me started on how much we miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool idea. I loved seeing the unique puppets everyone created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so super fun!! Thanks for coming over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea! I caught myself thinking how much I would have loved that as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so genius, I had to re-blog it! Any chance you'll have downloadable body parts for us to print out and use? We'd be eternally grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice blog.... so many nice ideas!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete