9.10.2010

[Easy Breezy...]

summerscarfs1

OK, so summer is officially coming to an end...which makes the nights a bit more chilly and (in my opinion) absolutely perfect. And what could be more sublime for a breezy night than a light weight cowl scarf? And one that is so super easy to make? Even better. In fact, you probably don't even need a tutorial but here one is anyway!...which will hopefully make things extra simple.
scarftutorial
STEP 1. Purchase 1/4 to 1/2 yard of some lovely light weight cotton or sheer fabric (make sure the bolt is 60" fabric or it will be a very tight cowl). I purchased the above breezy cotton fabric from Mood Fabrics in LA for my birthday this past April and was elated to finally decide on something to create with such scrumptious material.

STEP 2. Fold fabric in half with wrong sides together.

STEP 3. Stitch fabric together at the end.

STEP 4. Now for the only slightly tricky part. Turn the fabric inside out, press and sew the seam again, creating what's called a french seam (if you need a tutorial for this you can find one here). Then hem the sides of the scarf by turning over the raw edges 2x's (about 1/4 of inch or less) and stitch.

STEP 5. Your scarf is complete! To drape the scarf, simply place it over your head and around your neck, twist and loop, then place the remaining loop over your head once more and, voila! You are set for a breezy end-of-summer night under the stars.

*And for fall and winter, pick a heavier weight fabric, grab some hot chocolate and you are ready to fight the cold!

15 comments:

  1. these are great! (and those colors look really good on you - jealous that you can get away with yellow which looks yucky on me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here we're just starting spring so i'll totally try this out :). What did you do for the edges of the fabric? Did you sew them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely!
    Jana
    I'm linking up at Weekend Vintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yombix,

    Yes, I did sew/hem the edges of the fabric by turning it over about 1/8-1/4" once and sewing, then turning it over again the same width and sewing again to hide any raw edges.

    let me know if this doesn't make sense and I'll add a pic.

    Thanks!

    Mer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these! I adore your blog, by the way. I linked it on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so awesome, i need about five of these. just found your blog + i love it. thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely idea, I have so much lovely fabric that would look great around my neck! I'm an amateur sewist, just starting out but I think I could manage this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, will do. And Merrilee, you look gorgeous in these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is gorgeous and so doable! Thanks so much for the great explanation. I would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is a brilliant idea and so lovely. i'd like to link to this if that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Lovely! I posted "Scarfin' Around" July 9 this year on my blog-- so similar to this post. I LOVE scarves, and next week I turn one into a rose. Got anymore posts about scarves?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mer you look stunning int hat red scarf! Wow look out snow white you are the fairest in the land!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi hi! thanks for your beautiful blog. have been looking for blogs to inspire me as i begin my life with my sewing machine. whipped up a version of this cowl, and my hubby thinks it's my best creation yet! thanks so much for the ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went to Joann's and bought 1/2 a yard of six different fabrics on sale for about $2 each and made six of these. When I wear them they look cute you just can't get too close or you will see what a terrible sewer I am :)

    ReplyDelete