1.14.2010

[he'll fit into it...]

sweater1
As part of my New Years resolutions I'm trying to reuse as many things around the house as possible. Little A is growing by leaps and bounds as of late and has been in need of a new sweater/jacket/hoodie or two. So I scoured our closets and found a few sweater vests that Jon never wears (the fit is off) but that I have always loved. As the wheels started turning, the scissors started snipping.
sweater2
Being jazzed about this and ready to go, I didn't want to go out and purchase a pattern (I don't feel comfortable enough to do it without one...yet) so I went through what I already had. I came across the Finish Ottobre pattern book that I have had for some time but have been slightly intimidated by (due to a lack of visual step-by-step instructions, metric sizing and the fact that you have to somehow decipher your pattern pieces from a frenzied maze of differing, overlapping pattern lines).
sweater3
It was now or never so I dove in. The pattern sizing is all in cm so I took a wild guess based on what I thought would fit Little A. I know, I know...taking a random chance isn't the best idea when you are planning on investing time, fabric, effort and more time...but I was ready to go, and ever so slightly impatient.
sweater4
So after piecing together Finish pattern instructions and various discarded sweaters found around the house I ended up with a very fun yet very over sized sweater hoodie.
sweater6
He still looks darling in it and when he's, oh say, five or six years old...or even older...he'll fit it perfectly. And as excited as I am for him to wear it, I certainly can wait...a very long time...for him to grow up and into it.
sweater5

26 comments:

  1. Well done! Even if it is a bit large it's adorable and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a creative little seamstress you are - I'm so impressed :) I just love anything re-fashioned and handmade. He's adorable too!

    Nancy x
    www.wolfandwillow.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- so clever! What a chic boy he is. I can't wait to try this for my nephew. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Super cute...and ever so clever...if only I had your sewing skills...just adorable. Good skills!

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe the cutest little (big??) thing i've seen all day!

    tiny twig

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea and I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is awesome! I love how it came out in the end and would actually buy this for my kid (if I had one :P)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is the cutest thing i have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! What an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this little sweatshirt. It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's totally cute and a fantastic idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so adorable. I love the color mix.

    I've had a bunch of old sweaters I've been saving for something like this since being inspired by Etsy seller dressme. Now I'm even more inspired to get them out again to make hoodies for the wee one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That turned out amazing! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! I love that it is one of JOn's sweater vests.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! it's amazing, and totally fits now, why wait?

    ReplyDelete
  16. so stylin. (and still will be in a year or two) i love how it turned out. repurposing is my favorite. it makes me feel like a good mother somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, what a gorgeous sweater. He MUST wear it now...it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done! There's something exciting about turning something old into something new... and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i just LOVE this! i love those colours together. nice pick. It's also nice to see you're using pre-loved fabric. god knows how disposable clothes are these days! (I know because I'm so guilty of it! Wear it once or twice - throw it out!)
    At least it's too big rather than too small! Well done Mer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So adorable and it doesn't have to be fit perfect I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. that is amazing. clever, cute and super-inspiring.

    ReplyDelete